Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Everything is going to be okay.

I struggled for a while trying to find the best way to start a blog. I have lots of ideas, lots of thoughts, but you always want that first post to be perfect, pristine...


Eh, screw it. This is what you're going to get.

I live in Los Angeles right now. "The City of Angels". I'm here because I am following a dream. (What a novel concept in this town, right?) I'm not just following one single dream, though. I have a great long list of things I want to accomplish, most of which revolve around the entertainment industry. I won't go into too much detail with that right now, though.

Anyway, I've been fortunate enough to be able to find a very nice apartment in a safe neighborhood, which, if you're not familiar with LA, is a pretty rare feat. I've also been fortunate enough to get a westward-facing apartment. Every night I get to see the most amazing sunsets over Culver City and Beverly Hills. I stand out on my balcony and watch planes coming and going from LAX, looking almost like birds in the sky. Really, you can barely tell the difference.

Today has been a strange day for me. I'm not even entirely sure why. I wouldn't say I'm depressed. I'm actually quite happy with the direction my life is going right now. Nevertheless, I felt like I spent most of the day in a haze, and not just the continual blanket of smog that is expected around here.

My brother-in-law is living with us and like so many others, he's looking for work. It's been a very tough road for all of us over the past couple of years (more on that later). He got pretty discouraged today and spent some time of his own out on the balcony, deep in thought.

Later, I went out there myself and gazed out at the city before me. I felt a sort of surge of emotions. Not sadness, but not really joy, either. It was that dull ache you feel deep down at your core when you fall in love. Despite everything we've been going through, and all of the obstacles that we still have to face, somehow I just know, deep down, that everything will be okay. Everything is going to work out. I can't explain it, I just know it.

In the end, everything we have will be because of what we've done, not anyone else. Our future is in our own hands. I could quote a million songs here, but instead I'll just use the title of this blog, which comes from the song "Awake My Soul" by Mumford & Sons:

In these bodies we will live
In these bodies we will die
Where you invest your love
You invest your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment